Professor Ximin He
Assistant Professor; Postdoctoral Fellow; Harvard University (2011-2014), Ph.D. in Chemistry/Nano Optoelectronics; University of Cambridge (2011), MS in Chemistry; Tsinghua University (2006),
Dr. He’s research focuses on biologically inspired materials based on stimuli-responsive polymers and micro/nano-structure fabrication, for applications in biomedicine, environment, and energy. The interdisciplinary research across “design – synthesis – properties – functions” involves polymer chemistry and physics, molecular design and synthesis, and studies of mechanical, optical and electrical properties of soft materials.
There are openings for postdocs and PhD students. Students with background in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Optics, and Mechanics, may send CV to
- Optical sensing of chemical and biological molecules
- Bioinspired self-regulating materials
- Chemo-mechanically modulated separation of metal ions and cancer cells
- Novel stimuli-responsive polymers for soft robots
- Photo-responsive materials for optics, photonics, waveguides, and photo-harvesting
- Biomaterials for controlled cell adhesion and migration
- 3-D printing technology
Area of Thesis Guidance
Polymers, Bioinspired Material Systems
- Y. Zhang, Y. Zhao, D. Wu, J. Xue, Y. Qiu, M. Liao, Q. Pei, M. S. Goorsky, X. He, Homogeneous Freestanding Luminescent Perovskite Organogel with Superior Water Stability, Advanced Materials 2019
- X. Yang, M. Sun, Y. Bian, X. He, A Room-temperature High-conductivity Metal Printing Paradigm with Visible-light Projection Lithography, Advanced Functional Materials 2018, 1807615
- M. Sun, R. Bai, X. Yang, J. Song, M. Qin, Z. Suo, X. He, Femtomol-level Ultra-sensitive and High-selective Chemical Sensors Based on Hydrogel Interferometer, Advanced Materials 2018, 1804916
- M. Qin, M. Sun, M. Hua, X. He, Bioinspired structural color sensors based on responsive soft materials, Current Opinion in Solid State & Materials Science 2018 (10.1016/j.cossms.2018.10.001)
- M. Hua, Y. Du, J. Song, M. Sun, X. He, Surfactant-free fabrication of pNIPAAm microgels in microfluidic devices, Journal of Materials Research (Early Career Scholars Special Issue) 2018 (10.1557/jmr.2018.364)
- M. Qin, M. Sun, R. Bai, Y. Mao, X. Qian, D. Sikka, Y. Zhao, H. J. Qi, Z. Suo, X. He, Hydrogel Interferometer for Adaptive Coloration and Chemical Sensing, Advanced Materials 2018, 30, 1800468. (Video: https://youtu.be/djp5rsab21A)
- A.Shastri, L. McGregor, Y. Liu, V. Harris, H. Nan, M. Mujica, Y. Vasquez, A. Bhattacharya, Y. Ma, M. Aizenberg, O. Kuksenok, A. Balazs, J. Aizenberg, X. He, An Aptamer-functionalized Chemomechanically-modulated Biomolecule Catch-and-release System, Nature Chemistry 2015, 7, 447.
- Z.Zhao, N. Wang, H. Nan, L. Shen, C. Durkan, X. He, A novel paradigm for fabricating highly uniform nanowire arrays using residual stress-induced patterning, Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 2016, 4, 5814.
- Z.Zhao, H. Han, M. Sun, X. He, Simultaneous Topographic and Chemical Patterning via Imprinting Defined Nano-reactors, RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 96538.
- X.He, M. Aizenberg, O. Kuksenok, L. Zarzar, A. Shastri, A. Balazs, J. Aizenberg, Synthetic Homeostatic Materials displaying Chemo-mechano-chemical Self-regulation, Nature, 2012, 487, 214.
- X.He, F. Gao, G. Tu, D. Hasko, S. Hüttner, U. Steiner, N. C. Greenham, R. Friend, W. Huck, Formation of nanostructured polymer blends in photovoltaic devices, Nano Lett., 2010, 10, 1302.
- International Society of Bionic Engineering (ISBE) Outstanding Youth Award (2019)
- Hellman Fellows Award (2018)
- UCLA Faculty Career Development Award (2017; 2018)
- Air Force Young Investigators Research Program (YIP) Award (2016)
- NSF CAREER Award (2016)
- Harvard Postdoctoral Award for Professional Development (2013)
- National Outstanding Students Award of UK (2010)
- W.Wing Yip & Brothers Excellent Young Scientist Award of UK (2009)
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship (2006-2010)
- UK Overseas Research Scholarship (2006-2010)
Research Group/Lab: Postdocs and PhD openings available
- 2121F Engineering V
- 3030 Engineering V
- UCLA, HSSEAS School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
410 Westwood Plaza
3111 Engineering V
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1595