Prof. Yang Yang, UCLA
|Professor Yang Yang
Tel. (310) 825-4052
FAX (310) 206-7353
Professor; Yang Yang received his B.S. in Physics from the National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan in 1981, and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Physics from University of Massachusetts-Lowell, 1988 and 1992 respectively.
He joined Prof. Bryan Kohler’s group of UC-Riverside as a post-doc researcher from December 1991 to September 1992. Later, he joined UNIAX Corporation (now renamed as Du Pont Display) as a device physicist in October 1992. Yang joined the department of Materials Science and Engineering an Assistant Professor in January 1997 and subsequently became Associate Professor from July 1998. His research focuses on conjugated polymers and organics, polymer LEDs, and other related polymer electronic, photonic, and bio-devices. He has published more than 80 refereed papers and given more than 50 Invited presentations on his research work and has received 11 US patents.
Using conjugated organic compounds or polymeric materials as the active materials for the next generation semiconductor devices. Research topics cover LEDs, solar cells, memory devices and transistors.
Area of Thesis Guidance
Conjugated polymers and applications in optoelectronic devices such as light-emitting diodes, photovoltaic cells, field-effect transistors and non-volatile memories.
- Highly efficient inverted polymer solar cell by low temperature annealing of Cs2CO3 interlayer. Hua-Hsien Liao, Li-Min Chen, Zheng Xu, Gang Li, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 92, 173303 (2008)
- Control of the nanoscale crystallinity and phase separation in polymer solar cells. Chih-Wei Chu, Hoichang Yang, Wei-Jen Hou, Jinsong Huang, Gang Li, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 92, 103306 (2008)
- A Semi-transparent Plastic Solar Cell Fabricated by a Lamination Process. J. Huang, G. Li and Y. Yang. ADVANCED MATERIALS 20, 415-419 (2008)
- Anisotropy in Organic Single-Crystal Photovoltaic Characteristics. R. J. Tseng, R. Chan, V. C. Tung, Y. Yang. ADVANCED MATERIALS 20, 435 - 438 (2008)
- Stackable Resistive Memory Device Using Photo Cross-linkable Copolymer. Wei Lek Kwan, Ricky J. Tseng, Wei Wu, Qibing Pei, and Yang Yang. IEDM 2007
- Electrochemically Controllable Conjugation of Proteins on Surfaces. Paula M. Mendes, Karen L. Christman, Puru Parthasarathy, Eric Schopf, Jianyong Ouyang, Yang Yang, Jon A. Preece, Heather D. Maynard, Yong Chen, and J. Fraser Stoddart. BIOCONJUGATE CHEMISTRY 18, 1919–1923 (2007)
- Origin of photomultiplication in C60 based devices. Jinsong Huang and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 91, 203505 (2007)
- Plastic Near-Infrared Photodetectors Utilizing Low Band Gap Polymer. Yan Yao, Yongye Liang, Vishal Shrotriya, Shengqiang Xiao, Luping Yu, and Yang Yang. ADVANCED MATERIALS. 19, 3979 (2007)
- Fluorescent, carrier trapping dopants for high efficient single-layer polyfluorene LEDs. Zujin Zhao, Juo-Hao Li, Ping Lu and Yang Yang. ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS 17, 2203 (2007)
- Vertical organic light emitting transistor. Zheng Xu, Sheng-Han Li, Liping Ma, Gang Li, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 91, 092911 (2007)
- Achieving ambipolar vertical organic transistors via nanoscale. Sheng-Han Li, Zheng Xu, Liping Ma, Chih-Wei Chu, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 91, 083507 (2007)
- Enhancement of tetracene photovoltaic devices with heat treatment. Yan Shao, Srinivas Sista, Chih-Wei Chu, Douglas Sievers, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 90, 103501 (2007)
- Low-Work-Function Surface Formed by Solution-Processed and Thermally Deposited Nanoscale Layers of Cesium Carbonate. Jinsong Huang, Zheng Xu, and Yang Yang. ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS 17, 1966–1973 (2007)
- Manipulating regioregular poly(3-hexylthiophene) : [6,6]-phenyl-C61-butyric acid methyl ester blends—route towards high efficiency polymer solar cells. Gang Li, Vishal Shrotriya, Yan Yao, Jinsong Huang and Yang Yang. JOURNAL of MATERIALS CHEMISTRY, 17, 3126–3140 (2007)
- Improved hole-injection contact for top-emitting polymeric diodes. Juo-Hao Li, Jinsong Huang, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 90, 173505 (2007)
- Microscale memory characteristics of virus-quantum dot hybrids. Nathaniel G. Portney, Ricky J. Tseng, Giuseppe Destito, Erica Strable, Yang Yang, Marianne Manchester, M. G. Finn and Mihrimah Ozkan. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 90, 214104 (2007)
- “Solvent Annealing” Effect in Polymer Solar Cells Based on Poly(3-hexylthiophene) and Methanofullerenes. Gang Li, Yan Yao, Hoichang Yang, Vishal Shrotriya, Guanwen Yang, and Yang Yang. ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS 17, 1636–1644 (2007)
- Highly Efficient Red Emission Polymer Phosphorescent Lighting Emitting Diodes based on two novel Ir(piq)3 derivatives. Jinsong Huang, Taiki Watanabe and Kazunori Ueno and Yang Yang. ADVANCED MATERIALS. 19, 739 (2007)
- Charge transfer effect in the polyaniline-gold nanoparticle memory system. Ricky J. Tseng, Christina O. Baker, Brian Shedd, Jiaxing Huang, Richard B. Kaner, Jianyong Ouyang, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 90, 053101 (2007)
- Low voltage and fast speed all-polymeric optocouplers. Yan Yao, Hsiang-Yu Chen, Jinsong Huang, and Yang Yang. APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS 90, 053509 (2007)
- Guest Editor, Special Issue of the MRS Bulletin on Organic Electronic Materials and Devices, June 15, 1997.
- Yang Yang, Shun-Chi Chang, Jayesh Bharathan, and Jie Liu, Organic/polymeric electroluminescent devices processed by hybrid ink-jet printing, Encyclopedia of Image, John Wiley and Sons, 2000.
- Yijian Shi, Jie Liu, and Yang Yang, Polymer Morphology and Device Performance in Polymer Electronic Devices; Book Chapter in Organic Electroluminescent Devices: A survey, Chapter 6, page 155-185, America Institute of Physics Press, Editor: J. Shinar, Spring-Verlag, October 2003.
- Yang Yang, Yijian Shi, Jie Liu, and Tzung-Fang Guo, and, “The Control of Morphology and the Morphological Dependence of Device Electrical and Optical Properties in Polymer Electronics”, Chapter 13, pp. 307-354. on “Electronic and Optical Properties of Conjugated Molecular Systems in Condensed Phases”, Editor, Dr. Shi Hotta. Research Signpost Publishing, India, 2004.
- Jie Liu, Yijian Shi, and Tzung-Fang Guo, Yang Yang, “The Electronic and Optical Properties in Conjugated Polymers and Devices, Editor”, chapter 15 in “The Handbook of Electroluminescence Materials”, Editor: D. R. Vij, Institute of Physics Publishing, U.K., 2004.
- Guest Editor, Special Issue of the MRS Bulletin on Solid State Nonvolatile Memory Devices, November, 2004.
- Yang Yang, Organic Nonvolatile Memories, book chapter in Materials for Information Technology - Devices, Interconnects and Packaging, ed. E. Zschech, C. Whelan, T. Mikolajick, Springer-Verlag, August 18th, 2005, page 197-209.
- Chief Scientist Organic Opto-Electronics Center, Zhenan University, China. (In the process of establishing.)
- Visiting professor, Department of Materials Science of Zhenan University, China.
- Outstanding Overseas Chinese Scientist, Natural Science Foundation-China, (2004)
- Outstanding Alumni Award, U-Mass Lowell, (1999)
- NSF Career Award, (1998);
- 3M Young Investigator Award, (1998);
|MSE 200||Solid State Physics (Graduate I)|
|MSE 150||Introduction to Polymers (Senior level)|
|MSE 121||Semiconductors (Senior and first year graduate level)|
|MSE 199||Functional Material (Special topic for graduate students)|
|MSE 199||Optical property of materials (Special topic for graduate students)|
|MSE 88||Freshman Seminar. (Freshman)|
|MSE 298||Physics of Solar Cells (Special topic for graduate students)|
Research Group/Lab: Organic Electronic Materials and Devices
- 2121-C Engineering V
- UCLA, HSSEAS School of Engineering & Applied Sciences
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
410 Westwood Plaza
3111 Engineering V
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1595